Saturday, June 13, 2009

To Do: A Day Late and a DVD Short

I am something of a small time movie buff. I don't claim to have the movie prowess of some of my older and wiser friends, but I can certainly hold my own on trivia night. My husband and I have a fairly extensive dvd collection, and I Tivo everything I can from IFC and any of the premium channels' free weekend offerings.

The best part of being a self proclaimed Movie Geek is that other Geeks find you and want to talk shop. Inevitably, my obsessed friends mention some film or films that I've yet to catch. They breathlessly explain the plot and highlights of their favorite flicks, and I make a mental note either to look for the film or avoid it scrupulously (depending on their description and tastes.) Of course, as soon as I am separated from my enthusiastic friend, the titles begin to slip my mind. So as I sit in bed watching The Purple Rose of Cairo (which I've never seen before), I think I'll make a list of movies I still haven't seen, but fully intend to:

The Deer Hunter
Capote
Manhattan
Schindler's List
The Professional (I've only ever seen the last half.)
To Kill A Mockingbird
On Golden Pond
Sweeney Todd
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
Roman Holiday
Bottle Rocket

Okay, my brain hurts trying to think of more. It's like I said, five minutes away from the movie talk, and I can't remember a single recommended film title. I guess it's not enough that I'll be playing literary catch up for the rest of my life. I have all these movies hanging over my head. And the new ones just keep coming. Maybe I'll start requiring friends to only mention movies that they own and are willing to lend. Otherwise, it's going to be a case of Will-Work-For-DVD-Rentals.

No comments:

Post a Comment