Friday, February 6, 2009

What's At "Stake"? or How I Learned to Love the Slayer

School is back with a vengeance! Sure I've been back since Christmas break ended the first of January, but January Term hardly counts as "school." I got to spend a month working on my Senior Seminar project with an amazing writer and listening to all my fellow writers discuss the craft. Not exactly torture. Wednesday, however, was my first night of class for Spring Semester, and Thursday was my first full day of classes. How can I already have this much homework after only 1 day? So far I have a collage due Tuesday, along with several readings, two videos to watch, a response blog to post, and journal entry to write. Plus I have to write something for Creative Non-fiction that is due the following week, while critiquing some other students' creative non-fiction pieces. All this, cleaning the house, and dinner too! Why am I blogging again?

Of course, it's not as bad as it sounds. I'm taking some amazing courses this semester with some of my favorite professors. First and foremost is Senior Seminar. This class is really the culmination of everything I've been doing for the past four years, and when it's over, I should have a manuscript that will (I hope!) get me into grad school. The best part? I get to spend time with all my favorite people while I'm there...Professor Tekulve (the coolest professor EVER) and all the seniors in the Creative Writing department. Then there's Creative Non-fiction. I'm excited about this class because Professor Howie (my boss at the Writing Center) is the teacher. Another bonus is that I get to have class with some people that I don't see all the time, and we get a chance to catch up. Then there's my last two honors classes. These classes are great because they give you a chance to take stuff that you would never imagine there being a class for. (Yes, I know that sentence was a grammatical nightmare. Don't tell Professor Tekulve, okay?) I'm actually taking a class on housewives and housework in America. How cool is that? The most surprising class, however, is the one I'm taking on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yes, that's right. That is not a typo. I am taking a class on the television program Buffy the Vampire Slayer. We sit in a big room and watch Buffy episodes. You've just got to love a liberal arts education, right?



I am not daunted by my deluge of work, however. This is my last semester, and I'm determined to enjoy it. And even if it is a ton of work, it's only a few months, and then I'm a college graduate. I've had bad haircuts that took longer to grow out than that! I can do anything for a few months, and then WHO KNOWS? But I could rhapsodize about the end of school for pages and pages, and all this writing about classes and homework and housework has made me anxious to put a dent in the work that is piling up as I type. Okay, maybe anxious isn't quite the right word. I'm feeling guilty about sitting here typing when I should be washing, vacuuming, reading, and gluing. So Buffy out!

No comments:

Post a Comment