Thursday, July 16, 2009

Play It Again, Sam

Today as I was feeling yucky and procrastinating writing (I did eventually get to my writing), I watched an old favorite that my trusty DVR had recorded for me, To Have And Have Not. To those who scorn old movies as boring, over-the-top, unrealistic, irrelevant or any of those other lame excuses for not watching the silver screen classics, I challenge you to not love this movie. The dialogue is quick and clever, and the suspense is tight. And if you're looking for glamour, well, it doesn't get any more glamorous than Lauren Bacall. She is beautiful and sultry and her verbal parrying with Bogart? Smoking.

This re-watching of an old favorite got me thinking, however, about the movies that I love to watch over and over. Some movies you watch, they're okay, you forget about them. Then there are those that make you laugh/cry/think every time. So here's my list of flicks I love to watch and watch. It's far from comprehensive.

Adam’s Rib
African Queen
The Big Sleep

Bringing Up Baby
Casablanca

Dark Passage
The Desk Set
Fargo
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Get Shorty
Juno
Little Miss Sunshine
The Mask
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Pride and Prejudice
(the mini-series)
The Princess Bride
Raising Arizona
Rear Window
The Royal Tenenbaums
Rushmore
Sense and Sensibility
Snatch

Speed
Spellbound

The Thin Man
To Have and Have Not
Undercover Blues


You've probably seen most or all of these. Some are fine cinema classics, while some are just guilty pleasures. Either way, if you see a favorite get it out for a re-watch. Got one I've left off the list? Let me know. I'm always ready to add to my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment